We are committed to ensuring that this is a safe place for everyone and take the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults very seriously. We adhere to safeguarding rules laid down by the Church of England and the Diocese of Carlisle. Please see our safeguarding policy below.
Any safeguarding concerns can be addressed to either Revd Angela Whittaker. She can be contacted by emailing her on email@example.com or by telephone on 015395 60355, or our Parish Safeguarding Officer, Roy Watkinson on 015395 61373, or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org Alternatively contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser.
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
If you believe a child to be at immediate risk, you must contact Cumbria Children’s Services. Telephone the 24-hour number 0333 240 1727, or the police.
Urgent concerns about vulnerable adults should be referred to your local District Adult Social Care office. Telephone 0300 303 2704 or the Emergency Duty Team: 01228 526690 out of normal office hours.
An independent service supporting survivors of church-related abuse.
The Parish of St Mark, Natland Safeguarding Policy Promoting A Safer Church.
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council meeting held on 9th March 2022
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church’s appoints Roy Watkinson as the Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO)
Incumbent: The Revd Canon Angela Whittaker
Churchwardens: David Walker, Roy Watkinson
The Church of England’s promoting a Safer Church document can be found via this link.